Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Perfect Portrait? - My Heroes (cont.)

The first time I saw it, I thought so. I was a student at ASU and it was hanging, as part of a show by Arnold Newman, in North Light Gallery. I don't remember the total number of prints that were hung, but it was a most impressive group of portraits. Then I came to the portrait of Igor Stravinsky. It was stunning, the most beautifully constructed portrait I had ever seen. Stravinsky the composer mirrors the piano lid and has become part of the piano and the piano lid has become a musical note and the background is divided in thirds... I could go on but I'm sure you'd much rather look at some wonderful portraits, read some great stories and watch interviews with the master himself by clicking here.

And yes, I still think of it as "the perfect portrait."