Sunday, July 05, 2009

Happy Birthday America!

When in the course of human events... thus begins one of our most cherished documents. I remember as a small child enjoying the 4th of July holiday with all of my cousins and other family members at my Uncle's home in rural Missouri. Towards the end of the day, before the fireworks, (yes fireworks were legal back then), my Uncle, seated at a picnic table in his enormous back yard, began reading the Declaration of Independence aloud with everyone gathered around. Everyone was quiet and respectful and at the end he smiled and said "Happy Birthday America"! Yesterday before going to my family's home for dinner and fireworks and celebration I took the time to read again this amazing document, I highly recommend it. Oh, and my favorite part, the last fourteen words. To read the Declaration of Independence click here.